Good Samaritans to be honored for saving life of driver in fiery crash
Program includes presentation of ‘Bill Daniels Neighborhood Hero Awards’
- Aswad Allen – First on the scene, came to aid of driver
- Romulo Romero – Good Samaritan who provided rescue assistance
- Miguel Castaneda-Duque – Good Samaritan who also provided recue assistance
- Officer Ryan Marker and Officer William Grimes – Responding Aurora police officers who provided rescue assistance and transported all parties to safety
- John Fischbeck – Driver whose life was saved
- Aurora Police Chief Daniel Oates
- Linda Childears – Daniels Fund president & CEO
At approximately 2 a.m. on May 5, John Fischbeck was driving his truck southbound on I-225 when it burst into flames. The truck came to a stop near the center divider but Fischbeck was unable to exit the vehicle. Aswad Allen was first on the scene and provided assistance while his wife dialed 911. Allen was joined by Romulo Romero, Miguel Castaneda-Duque and Aurora police officers Ryan Marker and William Grimes in the actions that rescued Fischbeck from the burning vehicle. The officers loaded all parties in their vehicle and drove to safety just before the burning truck exploded.
The Award Presentation will take place at 7 p.m. on Monday, June 11, at the City Council Chambers at the Aurora Municipal Center, 15151 East Alameda Parkway.
Through their heroic actions, the Good Samaritans and Officers helped save the life of John Fischbeck. This will be the first opportunity Mr. Fischbeck has had to thank his rescuers since the incident. The program will include the presentation of Bill Daniels Neighborhood Hero Awards to the citizens who assisted in the rescue.